The Forerunners are a team of youth ministers who work in collaboration with the monastic community and the chaplains in the School. The term forerunner refers to a person who goes ahead of another to prepare the way. The most famous forerunner in the Bible was John the Baptist who prepared the way for Christ and from whom the Forerunners take their inspiration.
The Forerunners at Worth seek to awaken dignity in young people by helping them discover their God-given identity. They do this by bringing about a culture of discipleship in the School and preparing the way for Jesus Christ in people’s hearts. They operate out of six discipleship principles found in John 1:35-42:
- "Standing with" - our ministry is relational
- “Behold the Lamb of God” – our ministry is encounter focused
- "What do you seek?” – our ministry encourages searching questions
- “Come and see” – our ministry is invitational
- “They stayed with him that day” – our ministry is hospitable
- “You shall be called Cephas” – our ministry is vocational
The team is currently made up of five full-time youth ministers, an Anglican Youth Minister and three further part-time staff.